- Training from 5pm for juniors Thursday 6pm Seniors. All are welcome
- Need to pay your registration? Click on the link on http://www.wangarattabaseball.com click on members login to pay your registration or find Wangaratta rangers on teamapp
- Season to begin Sunday 19th of April. Draw will be posted online soon.
- Cods Ballarat Friday 20th to Sunday 22nd of March
- Check us out on all the socials we are all over them!
Insurance for the season is now due. Check Teamapp and Wangaratta Rangers website for login details
Juniors Wednesday night from 5pm Come down and have a look.
Seniors training Thursday from 6pm and tea!
A and B grade both at Benalla Sunday from 11:30am
Hello and welcome to the summer edition Rounding Third. It feels like it has been an eternity since we last had a chat. However the time is right to let you know what has been going on around the Wangaratta Rangers Baseball/Softball Club. The season is long past in the memory and a new committee has taken over the reins. Well not brand new. Just a few people have been shuffled around into new portfolios. The Ranger Ramble was another highlight and well there has been a plethora of birthdays. But we will get to all of that later. Hope you enjoy the read.
Pool is the new President.
Local rubber-arm and world traveller Nathan “FOMO” Pool has taken over the top job at Wangaratta Rangers Baseball/Softball Club. Now regular readers know about Nathan’s credentials to be the top dog. 300 games, son of club legend Kevin Pool, a regular at Vic Winter carnivals for North East and regular attendee for CODS masters. Former president Tony “Spinner” Smith has moved over to become the treasurer. All other positions remained the same. A big thank you to Spinner and his work in the past four years as president and to Scott “Daddy Mack” Jenkins who now moves back into general committee from treasurer. Already the club are looking forward to season 2019. The next meeting will be this Friday the 11th of January from 7pm at the clubrooms. All are welcome.
30 is the new forty or is 40 the new 30?
This year down at the club there has been a plethora of milestone birthdays. This year has seen Nathan Pool, Cam Scott and Mick “The Skipper” Wyatt all celebrate the big 40, while Scott “Big Daddy” Jenkins, Kyle “Thrillmore” Gilmore have celebrated 30. Over the past couple of months, the club has welcomed a couple more with Kelsey “Dropsy” Burder and offsider Sam “Goggles” Grigg joining the 30 brigade. Welcome to your respective clubs gentlemen.
Ranger Ramble VII run and won.
In 2018 The Rangers end of season trip was another roaring success. The theme was western, and what a theme it was. From gunslinger Scott Jenkins, to Brad Undies Murdoch and Woody, Sam Grigg as Jesse, Jamies Samuels and Rob Seymour as Indians, Cam Scott and Lauren Dinsdale as bar staff, Nathan Pool and Daniel Griffin riding inflatable horses, it seemed everyone had a pair. We not everyone. Kelsey “Dropsy” Burder thought outside the square and came as a Western Bulldog footballer. Pretty inventive the writer thought. Anyhow the trip was to Phillip island and it was a great trip down. Once at San Remo and having the stretch of the legs the crew were met by a Ranger from afar Daniel “Hank Scorpio” McCullough who had flown in from Canada the night before. One thing is for sure Daniel “The Griff” Griffin is a great trip planner and this year did not disappoint. Who won best dressed you ask? Word has it Cam “The Soak” Scott took home the chocolates a source down on the trip tells me. Hope all who ventured down had a wonderful time.
Yes yes I have been very quiet since the end of the past winter season but now as the weather is warm our attention turns to the 2019 Victorian Masters Baseball Carnival. Once again hosted by those wonderful folks in Ballarat from 15th to 17th of March. Once again the Cods are looking for players for their 35 plus and their 45 plus line ups. There will be a couple of changes this year and one notable absentee will be Line Drive’s close friend Cam “The Soak” Scott. Due to a clash of dates he will not be making the trip. Fear not he will be still soaking it up! However Line Drive’s travelling fans may make another appearance. One knows for sure the Esmond Street boys like a trip to Ballarat for the weekend. Sorry Kelsey you will not see Line Drive and The Soak in the one place once again. For more information on Cods Masters Baseball and if you are interested on donning the Cods uniform check out https://www.facebook.com/Codsmastersbaseball for all your Cods needs.
Wangaratta Rangers juniors
T-ball has been an exceptional success leading into the Christmas break with on average 30 kids having a crack at t-ball and now into junior baseball. Coaches Nathan Pool, Owen “The Gaffer” Godenzi are impressed with how the kids have taken to the game we all love. Looking at the posts online there has been many positive reviews of how the club is going about the development of baseball in Wangaratta. In the past week a new site has been set up for Junior baseball information. https://www.facebook.com/wangarattarangersjuniorbaseball/ is the link and there will be more content added to the site as we move towards the commencement of t-ball and junior baseball in late January early February. If you are interested in playing please email the club email@example.com. We hope to see you soon down at Targoora Park.
Pickle Ball what is it?
Now here is something that is completely different to the usual baseball news. Wangaratta’s favourite Canadian import Bryan “Moose” Wilson has been hard at it getting another game he loves off the ground in Wangaratta. The name of the game is pickle ball. The sport combines elements of tennis, badminton and table tennis. It can be played using wooden or composite paddles in singles or doubles configuration. It is played on a court similar to the size of a badminton court and from all reports is a lot of fun. For those who are interested in having a hit for something different check out https://www.facebook.com/Wangaratta-Pickleball-494957764332723/
It’s been a while
I know a few of you out there has been wondering what had happened to Line Drive. He has a quiet few months on the information front. It was another good year for the club where many plans turned into achievements and there are many more good things in the pipeline in 2019. Come to think of it, he just suffered from the curse that was writers block and a little self doubt over whether or not do people like reading about what’s going on in North Eastern Baseball. That has now passed and is now looking forward to getting back into what is going on around the traps. Hope all out there has had a wonderful Christmas and new year period and looking forward to an enjoyable 2019.
Now for the club stuff
- Committee meeting Friday 11th January from 7pm all are welcome
- Junior baseball to fire back up late January Early February. more information to follow
- Cods Masters March 15th to 17th if interested let the Codsters know via their page
- Know anyone interested in playing drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Check us out on Facebook the web, Twitter and on teamapp.
- Anyone for golf? Might be time for a hit. Who is keen? Let Cam know
That’s it and till next time
- Insurance for season 2018 is now able to be paid through the members login on the website and on teamapp. This needs to be paid before the first game on the 8th of April. Create a new account and password and pay once you are in. https://wangarattabaseball.com
- New warm up shirts are almost here. Will be available soon for purchase. Spinner has your sizes.
- Any fundraising ideas see Kelsey Burder. He will consider all requests.
- Season looks to begin 8th April. Draw being finalised and released soon.
- Thanks to all our sponsors. Click on the sponsor tab on the website to check them out. Alternatively download teamapp and search Wangaratta Rangers
- Follow us on twitter @wangrangers and like us on Facebook
- Committee meeting Wednesday Night 7:30pm Targoora Park. All are welcome to attend.
- Make sure you download the app from teamapp.com search Wangaratta Rangers. Calendar is continually being updated.
- Website will be updated when new information comes to hand and link to line drive through site. http://www.wangarattabaseball.com
- If you playing Cods then the insurance needs to be paid via members login on website. Same process as last year.
- Check out our sponsors via the tab on the website. Your continued support is appreciated.
- Follow us @wangrangers on twitter.com
- New shirts will be available before the beginning of the 2018 season. Beanies, caps and stubby holders still available.